Christmas card outtakes
Hello all!
We've done a lot in the past few weeks. We drove the kiddos (yes, drove!) to see their grandparents in Texas. This trip, in the best of circumstances, would involve 22 hours in the car. Yes, 22. We decided we would drive overnight to get 12 out of the way, visit my grandmother on the way down and rest, then drive at night to my parents. This plan worked beautifully, and we arrived at each destination a bit early. The kids were great, the minivan was great, and other than the devastation at a few Cracker Barrels along the route (I think Jon tipped about 40%, which was probably too little), fun was had by all.
The trip back was a complete disaster. We started with a dead battery, which ended in computer failure due to messed up cables. We realized we had blown a fuse, then found the fuse, then stole a fuse out of my mom's car. But it was too late. We couldn't leave at night. Plus it was sleeting on the route. So we waited for morning. We then drove, leaving devastation at a McDonald's or two, but having fun. Then, just over the Texas/New Mexico border (literally the middle of nowhere), we had a blowout. On a Saturday. At 7pm local time. The bolts on the tire were sealed shut from road debris, and we had a compact spare. And the spare and jack were under piles and piles of luggage, toys, strollers, booster seats, etc. So we called AAA, got them to put on the spare. Clearly we couldn't drive the remaining 1300 miles on a little spare at 60 mph on a road with a 75 mph speed limit, where the traffic tends towards about 85 mph. The AAA man gave us the name of a company in Tucumcari (30 miles away) that might be able to get us a new tire Sunday morning. So we limped along to Tucumcari, got a hotel, unpacked the car, put the babies to bed, and spent the night in Tucumcari. Jon got up early, got the tire fixed, and this time, we made it home by midnight Sunday night. Just in time for work Monday AM. No time for grocery shopping, laundry, unpacking, or anything ridiculous like that. What I have neglected in this story is the description of the screaming. Just trust me--there was a lot. Noah doesn't like new places, especially at 11am. Nobody likes being cold. Nobody likes being stopped on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Nobody likes emergency flashers. Nobody likes hotel breakfasts and playing in a hotel room with toys that lost their novelty three days ago. Really, the babies were completely awesome and wonderful, considering. But we will think twice before driving again.
And now for the photos . . . . here are outtakes from our holiday photo session. If you'd like a holiday card, send me your address (don't post it here though). First come, first served. :)
All: What is wrong with you people? Why are you torturing us in this way?!!
Mattie: Wow! Look--there's some button over there that needs pressing . . .
Mattie: I'm gonna take these plants and run over and press that button. Noah and Anna: What is wrong with you people?!!
Mattie: Look--I really want to go press that button. Can't you work with me? Anna and Noah: I can't believe these people.
Mattie: What did you put on my head?!! Can't you see it clashes with my dress?! I just want to push that button!


3 Comments:
Wow! What a trip!!
We drove to Texas last year (only 16 hours or so) and decided never again with a baby. This year we flew and I can't say it was a whole lot better. Car seat, stroller, playpen, suitcase. Caleb refused to sit still in the airport or on the airplane. Lucky for us he slept from take off to landing both ways but the trip through the airport and the 45 minutes on the tarmac trying to hold something in your lap that just keeps moving ... is challenging. Next time at least we will get him his own seat so we can strap him in!
Oh, and hotel rooms were not made for kids. Although I remember thinking that hotels were fun as a kid ... I can't imagine why now.
Hi darlin'
Tom and I would love one of your Chrissy cards. Please get Jon to email Tom for our address in Petersham.
Yes, we moved a year ago!
LOL from Sydney xxxxx
Oh my goodness I miss those kiddos! I dropped by ( I don;t know if Kristen told you), and I couldn't believe how big they have gotten. Mattie is mad at me though (haha). How was Australia? See you all in a couple weeks. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home