Court and Jon and ...

RSS feed

Friday, August 04, 2006

Home again, doing nothing

Hi everyone,

I am relieved to tell you that I am home again. My blood pressure went back down to reasonable levels, the test of my liver function got a little better, and my kidney function was only mildly abnormal. I also feel much better. In all, they decided that I was well enough to come home and that there was no need to deliver the babies yet. I have been instructed to "do nothing." So poor Jonathan has to wait on me hand and foot now. You may ask, wasn't he doing that already? Well, yes, but I think it just get worse.

I was able to talk to the neonatologist in charge of the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at the hospital while I was there. Jon and I also got a tour of the NICU. On the whole, it was encouraging--there were plenty of tiny little babies there, but they seemed to be doing well. They had recently sent two of three triplets home so we only saw the third one. Once they are big enough for a fairly normal bed, they put them all in the same big bed together, which seems very nice. There was one baby there who had been there for 10 weeks as he was born at 25 weeks. Apparently he was doing quite well. But they are all so small!

The doctor said our babies had a 95% survival rate if born right now, but they would still do well to have their lungs mature some more. Also, he said that on average, the babies get to go home at what would have been 37 weeks, which is around Sept. 20 in our case. They probably would come home one at a time, which I think that's just fine--it would be good to figure out how to take care of one baby before trying to do three at once!

Okay, now back to doing nothing. Have a great weekend!

Courtney

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home